It’s Rory’s Fault, Or Maybe The Gas

This morning I got up around 6:30 when Rory climbed into bed next to me.  Instead of just lying there, he stared at me while I tried to get a couple more minutes of sleep.  That’s worse than having him talking or watching TV because I could feel his eyes burning into my soul.  It was unnerving.

Getting up at 6:30 isn’t a big deal.  I prefer sometime after 7:00, but I’m usually asleep by 9:30…10:30 at the latest.  Yes, I require 8 to 9 hours of sleep a night, which I did get last night, but I was just a little slower to wake up today.

Kamryn woke up around 7:00 and once both children were fed and dressed, we headed over to my brother’s house where my treadmill is currently residing.  I ran my 5 miles, but the last mile was tough.  I could have slowed down, but I just wanted to get it over with.  I had already been on that treadmill for 40 minutes and I could handle another 10 minutes, but 11 minutes?  Out of the question.

Once we got home, I gave the kids a snack and jumped in the shower.  When I got out, I found Rory asleep on the couch.  It was 10:30 in the morning.  I got some water and I was suddenly extremely tired.  I laid down on the couch and was out within a couple of minutes.

I’m not sure how much time had passed, but Rory was standing in front of me with a Spongebob stuffed animal.  When I opened my eyes, he handed Spongebob to me to snuggle with.

My Snuggle Buddy

I took that sponge and fell right back to sleep.  I woke up again at 11:20, Spongebob still in my arms.  Kamryn was sleeping on my legs and Rory was back on the other end of the couch, awake, but very much in a relaxing pose.  If I didn’t have all the windows and balcony door open, I would have thought that there was a carbon monoxide leak.

I’m going to blame Rory for making us all so tired.  He never falls asleep that early – he can almost always hold off until at least 2:30.  Seeing him all curled up on the couch with his blanket just looked too inviting for me not to give it a try.  I have not taken a nap forever – and never as early as 10:30.

Once I finally got up, my legs were so stiff from not moving for almost an hour.  I could barely walk, but I did get up and I slowly started to feel refreshed.  I ate some lunch, fed the kids and by the time I finished eating, I was feeling great.

I figured we were just having a bit of a lazy day and all of our activities were catching up to us again.  Until tonight.  There is some kind of gas leak somewhere and the smell is overwhelming.  I called our gas company and there apparently had been numerous other calls before mine and they were sending someone out to look into it.

Here’s the kicker.  Because I called, I was told I had to stay inside so when the gas guy gets here, he can talk to me.  Uh, it’s going to be hard to talk to me if I get blown up, huh?  I am not allowed to turn anything on or off, I can’t make any phone calls on a landline, open or close any doors, light matches or candles or smoke.  Son-of-a-bitch!  There goes my Tuesday night.  I was going to flick the light switches on and off, get a landline hooked up, have the kids slam a bunch of doors while lying on my bed in my romantically candle lit room, smoking a pack of Marlboros*.


*I don’t smoke, but when I did, Marlboros were my brand of choice.

4 thoughts on “It’s Rory’s Fault, Or Maybe The Gas

    • We already had all the windows open. I never found out what happened. That gas man never game and knocked on my door to “talk to me”, but it doesn’t smell like gas anymore.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s